Monday, March 09, 2009

Happy Birthday Barbie


50 years ago today the first Barbie was introduced to the American public.

  • 90 percent of American girls, ages 3 to 10, own at least one, Mattel toy company says
Doll inspires with 108 careers and fosters 8 million collectors worldwide.

What's your favorite Barbie Doll story?

I never played with Barbie dolls growing up. I did play with them with my daughters however.

My first Barbie was the short haired "Bubble hair" Barbie. I used to make doll clothes for the little girls I baby sat. One Christmas I earned my Christmas money by selling "mink stoles" for Barbie that I knitted on tiny knitting needles with angora wool. They were soft and looked liked mink stoles. I even put a seed pearl bead to button them in place.

Our oldest daughter was never into Barbies but preferred baby dolls.

Our Suzy was our Barbie Doll girl. Her daddy even made a doll house for all her dolls complete with lights and furniture.

Suzy would play dolls for hours at a time. I remember when Barbie and Rockers came out....Suzy and neighborhood friends played that cassette while pretending they were"the Rockers!"

Did your girls play with Barbie Dolls?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Why didn't you ever make a "mink stole" for MY barbies?!?" (Busted.)

Melli said...

I never even had a Barbie doll. Amanda Had one or two - but NEVER played with them. She didn't play with baby dolls either. She played with TRUCKS - and soccer balls! Krysti was our Barbie girl! She had DOZENS of them - and Mathew butchered them... scary! It's okay - when he got older we figured out that they were simply TOO SKINNY for his taste! LOL!

Luz just got her very first Barbie right after Valentine's day! That's one of the things she bought with the gift card I gave her -- and she bought a blonde haired, blue eyed plain ol' Barbie in a bathing suit. She also has 2 mermaid dolls that are LIKE Barbie - only with tails.

Baba said...

I don't think that barbie dolls were around when I was growing up.My girls were crazy about barbies and had tons of them with all of the clothes and cars, big doll houses and little shoes scattered all around the house!!When we moved 18 years ago, who got rid of all of that stuff??? Mr. Freddie !!! The girls were mad that he did not save them for their kids one day..and the value in money they could have sold them for....

I love the picture of Oz sitting and reading his book..He is so handsome and I know how exciting it will be to see and hold him again at Easter and also Miss Emma..Have a great trip. I will be at my sister's in N. C. taking care of her after her back surgery..which will be on April 2nd..I don't know how long I will be staying with her..

Have a good week.. Miss you and I will see you when you come to Savannah.. Hugs, Baba

mompoet said...

I wanted a Barbie when I was six, but Mom and Dad had to be pretty frugal in those days. They got me a "Suzette" doll. I was conscious that it wasn't a real Barbie brand, but I loved her just the same. I remember her carrying case that doubled as a closet, with a compartment for her little plastic shoes at the bottom. Mom sewed her a ball gown from a Simplicity Barbie clothing pattern. I can also remember making a house with rooms out of a cardboard box and toilet rolls and a kleenex stuffed couch. Happy birthday Barbie!Thanks for the memories Daisy.
mp

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

I tried to comment on here yesterday and after I had it all written out blogger said that it could not be sent..You and I posted on the very same thing yesterday..smile..Sandy

Linda said...

I was giving up dolls when Babie came out, therefore I never had one. I still have several that were my daughter's and her children love playing with them.

srp said...

I had a whole family of Barbies... my first was one of the original blonde ponytailed ones... you remember, the first ones that had too much eye makeup. I also had some bubble haired ones as well. My grandmother made all the Barbie clothes for me. She made a complete wardrobe including a gorgeous white velvet wedding dress. All those tiny stitches and all by hand. It was the greatest gift a grandma could give a little girl.

 
design by suckmylolly.com