Saturday, May 31, 2008

Emma learns about wind

Poppa and Emma were sitting on our porch swing this afternoon discussing politics and world affairs when sudden showers appeared making the temperature drop and the wind pick up.

Using every moment for a teachable moment, Poppa decided to teach Emma about wind by letting her feel the wind blow and watching Diva's ribbons dance in the wind.


The discussion was rather one sided but went a little bit like this:

Poppa: Emma did you know that wind is the fastest growing source of electricity in the world?

Emma with soother in her mouth says nothing but reaches out for the pretty ribbons beginning to dance in the breeze.

Poppa: Some experts say it can sometimes be the cheapest form of any kind of power. Generating power from the wind leaves no dangerous waste products behind. Best of all, its supply is unlimited.

Emma with her finger in her mouth begins to contemplate the validity of this statement while Poppa explains further.



What followed was a discourse on wind farms, the jet stream, global wind patterns, plus land and sea breezes. The discussion was possibly more than one little explorer could handle, so of course she ran to her Diva and instantly fell asleep. Some how I think I got the best part of the day. I got to kiss her little head, hold her close and whisper prayers over her while she slept. It amazes me that she seems to be growing right in front of us. I miss my baby but I'm enjoying this bright inquisitive little person.

6 comments:

Melli said...

Yeah. I'd say she's a keeper. You're doing a GREAT job of enjoying her! Carry on!

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Well now you know WHY you bought that beautiful ribbon hanger..just for Emma to love and to learn about wind!! Smile. You have had such good pictures of Poppa and Emma and finally one with you in it too..plus your new top too!! She is so sweet..don't you wish she would just stay that way?
Sandy

Amber Star said...

There is that Emma again being her cute little self. Beautiful story today and lovely ribbons.

MaR said...

I love her pink perspective on world politics, so cute!!

Jane said...

I think Poppa is giving Emma quite an education! What a blessed little girl to have such a clever Poppa and such a loving Diva!!!
Keep sharing, it is wonderful.

Susan said...

Awwww..that is so sweet. It reminds me of when my DH used to give the boys "essay answers" to their questions. I am pretty sure it's why they are so smart today. What a great Poppa he is...and a great Diva you are for being there for snuggle time at the end of the lesson.

I'm loving the Emma pics!!

:-) Susan

 
design by suckmylolly.com