Monday, February 04, 2008

Monday Memories....Shopping with a toddler


Since our oldest just had a birthday, my thoughts seem to be directed to her lately. We try to send "surprise" boxes to all of our kids from time to time. The last box we sent to Canada had a playmat that fits into the basket seat of the grocery cart and protects the child from the germs of other children that have sat in the basket. It also has items that are sewn in to entertain the child so mom can shop.

We didn't have such luxuries when our children were growing up. We lived in Montana when the girls were born. It always took us at least 30 minutes to get into to town to shop. So we tried to group all our shopping together when we went. One day Becky and I went grocery shopping. She was sitting in the cart and I was preoccupied with trying to get everything I needed on the list. Becky loved to talk, to babble, to sing and make noises so I really wasn't paying any attention to her. She loved being able to see all the items on the shelves and I would occasionally find items in the cart that I didn't put there. I had learned to keep the cart in the middle of the aisle so she couldn't reach the items she desired. Just because she couldn't reach the item didn't make her desire go away. She would beg for cookies, or sugary cereal or other items that weren't on the list or in our rather strict budget.


We went down the aisle after aisle and Becky was delighted by all the colors and pictures. She would say the names of everything she saw and was perfectly entertained. Somewhere between the produce aisle and the cookie aisle, she began to speak to me directly....."Mom?"

Me: no response, too busy shopping.


Becky: "Mom?"


Me: no response....continued to walk down aisle.


Becky: "Momma?"...now louder and more insistent.


Me: checking list , still not paying attention.


Becky: "DAISY!!" said, in a loud, truly disgusted voice.


That definitely got my attention. Who knew that she knew my first name? I still laugh about it after all these years. My daughter is not a person to be ignored (not then nor now!) Funny how their personalities are formed so quickly. I wonder what little Emma will do to get her momma's attention? I'm sure it will make for a good story, don't you?

5 comments:

Talk..to..Grams said...

Hi, Daisy, I just read all the post I have missed while being sick! Feeling better but for the cough! Nancy is still Okay! Praise God!

Boy Wonder! What a horribe thing to happen!! Bless His heart!!and then his stuff stolen!! Yikes!

I know what you mean about getting out the receipts for people for their W'2! Karen helped me do this and so did Carrie while she was here!!

I had to laugh about your daughter calling you Daisy!! Even now when I am reading or blogging Kelly will go MOM! Mom! and then Carolyn!!!! I go, What!! Love and Hugs, Carolyn

Susan said...

My boys have been known to grab my face with both hands and say, "Look at me." They DO develop those personalities so young!!

Hugs,

Susan

Talk..to..Grams said...

I forgot to tell you I have a Valentine for you over at my Blog!! Love, Grams

Jane said...

Love this story Daisy!! I also enjoyed catching up with the post before this one. I missed you!

I have a little "post-party" post over at my place.....check it out!!!

Melli said...

whoa! i had no idea you were a daisy all the waaaaaaaay back then! i thought it was just your cute little blogger name... silly me! my kids complain that i never heard them speak when they were small too... we do have a tendency to develop selective hearing. especially when more than one child is involved!

 
design by suckmylolly.com