I received this as an email long ago but find that it is a source of encouragement when situations occur that I can't understand or control.
The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for God to rescue him, and every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming. Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect himself from the elements, and to store his few possessions
.Then one day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little
hut in flames, the smoke rolling up to the sky. The worst had happened -
everything was lost. He was stunned with grief and anger. "God, how could
you do this to me?" he cried.
Early the next day, however, he was awakened by the sound of a ship that
was approaching the island. It had come to rescue him. "How did you know I
was here?" asked the weary man of his rescuers. "We saw your smoke signal,"
they replied.
It's easy to get discouraged sometimes when things appear to be going
badly. But we shouldn't lose heart, because God is at work in our lives,
even in the midst of pain and suffering. Remember, next time your little hut
is burning to the ground, it just may be a smoke signal that summons the
grace of God.

8 comments:
There was a song by Garth Brooks called UNANSWERED PRAYERS...it went "Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers."
And like every good father, sometimes HIS answer is "no."
Hey ma, did you change MSN messenger names? Email me what your new name is -- I never see you online anymore!
Very encouraging indeed. This is something people should read and think about.
I hadn't read this encouraging parable before. Thanks for posting it.
I hadn't read or heard it either. Thanks for sharing.
I had read that before, but loved reading it again -- such a good reminder.
I'm back in the saddle again, Daisy. I know I was on the quiet side, but I read -- and loved -- every single entry you did while you were gone. I was totally blown away. When I read your email that you would be away for 10 days, my first thought was "what am I going to do about my Daisy-fix?". But you fixed me up every day. It was me who let you down by not audibly (in the written word) let you know that I was thinking about you ..and you knew instinctively that I was praying for you. I tend to fade away sometimes, Daisy. Don't give up on me, though. I always fade back in:)
Are you rested up yet? What a whirlwind, but oh, what a time you had. If you ever venture into Kansas .... :)
Love that....Very encouraging!!
Have you read my Tasty Tuesday yet...if not, you need too..I think you will like it! ;)
Cozy & I had lunch today, we thought about you!! :)
*Hugs*
What a great story! I hadn't heard that one before but it reminds me of the Footprints in the Sand story.
Post a Comment