Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Do you have a diaster plan?


In the months that followed the devastating Asian tsunami of December 2004, an amazing story of survival emerged from Simuelue Island, the closest inhabited land to the epicenter of the earthquake.

A news report said that only 7 of the remote Indonesian islan's 75,000 inhabitants died when 30 foot waves struck just half an hour after the quake. For decades, the people had heard stories told by their grandparents of giant waves that killed thousands on this same island in 1907. So when the ground shook and the sea retreated from the shore, the people recalled their grandparents' warning and fled to high ground.

So often I fail to heed the warning signs in my own life. Either I'm too preoccupied with my own thoughts to notice the waves retreating away from the shore or I run out to pick up the bright shells and treasures left on the beach. The temporary trinkets and shells are poor substitudes for the tidal wave of trouble that I've wandered into.

Thought for the day: A warning heeded is a disaster avoided.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really need to be better prepared for things. A hurricane for instance, I can't guarantee the flashlights and such are where they should be. I don't have an emergency flare in the car. I don't have but one gallon of emergency water. I'm up caca creek huh?

 
design by suckmylolly.com