Saturday, November 21, 2009

Birthday Hangover.....


Turning 60 has been an adventure and celebrating it has been fun. Yes, I am having a birthday hangover...not the alcoholic type just letting my birthday celebration take over the entire week.

I'm still getting sweet birthday cards from friends and noticed that I got about 50 birthday messages from friends on Facebook. I received a handmade booklet from my best friend entitled "6O Things I Love/Hate About You". It made me laugh and cry at the sweet memories and history we shared as our children were growing up. It makes me sad that we live so far away from each other now.

My Mr. Wonderful took me out to lunch today at the Depot Grill in Staunton. Last year Melli, her mother-in-law, and our friend Beckie and I discovered this great place to eat, and I've been wanting to go back ever since. The food is wonderful, and it was actually part of the train depot. He had a bison burger and I had smothered chicken.

After lunch, we went to Sunspots, a glass store where you can watch glass being blown and shaped into Christmas ornaments and gorgeous vases. We got to watch the glass blower actually making a Christmas ornament. The picture is of a vase we saw being made last year when we visited. Mr. Wonderful had never been, so he was fascinated by the process.

Mr. Wonderful bought me this great bracelet. I love bracelets and especially anything with a daisy on it. He picked it out all by himself. (I bought myself a bracelet at this same store last year so I'm really thinking I like this birthday tradition.)

We also went to the Bittersweet Bakery, right down the street, (which I am told is the best bakery in Staunton) for chocolate, and chocolate chip cookies. On our way into the store, there was a sign in the window that said, "If your name is Charlie or Christine ask for a free cookie". So, guess who got a free cookie...Mr. Wonderful!

I finally got to go into "The Jolly Roger Haggle Shop". I've always been intrigued by the name but had never gone in. Oh, my goodness, I wish you could have seen it. There were all kinds of glassware, antique jewelry, tools, furniture, books, dolls, plates, pictures, locks, and everything you could possibly imagine stuffed into three floors and all over the walls. It was definitely a visual overload but some pretty interesting things. We work at a mission that is overloaded with "stuff" so it made me think that we were back at work. It was hard to look at everything as if they were antiques.....but I keep forgetting that I'm an antique now too!

I forgot to tell you about a sweet surprise. For my birthday breakfast, my guy fixed me my favorite hot-out-of-the-oven refrigerator cookies (White chocolate chunk with macadamia nuts) and coffee in my favorite cup with my favorite creamer (white chocolate mocha.) My favorite coffee mug says, "God danced on the day you were born" and it always brings a smile to my face.

A couple of years back my coffee mug got broken beyond repair when Mr. Wonderful opened the cupboard door and it fell out and smashed on the tile floor. I was heartbroken as it was my absolute favorite mug. Long story short, we found the exact cup at a yard sale in pristine condition for a quarter. I love it when God winks at you at the most unexpected times.

Hope your weekend is a celebration too.


6 comments:

Jeanie said...

Sounds like you have had a great celebration for your 60th. I had a good one a couple of years ago, and so far I have found 60s to be just fine. Enjoy!

mompoet said...

I'm delighted to hear that your birthday was filled with so much love and so many wonderful treats. You give so much love and live with such faith and generosity, you can't help but be young at heart. The Daisy version of 60 is one to which I aspire!
mp

Jane said...

I'm glad you had such a wonderful birthday. Tell Charlie I am especially impressed with his "breakfast treat" he gave you. What a sweetie!! BTW, the plate your cookies are on are exactly like the ones we had when we got married!! We have the same taste..sister friend!!
Love you to pieces!

Melli said...

Grrrrl! I DO think this might be the BEST birthday you've had yet! You have been thoroughly celebrated UP one side and DOWN the other! And most especially - and the best part - INSIDE (with the treats!) OUT (bracelets) ... and well... you're always a bit backwards... what can I say???

I think I NEED some hot out of the oven cookies with MY coffee tomorrow morning... :/

Susan said...

Perfect celebration for a perfect Daisy! Love you and hope you're well.

:-) Susan

Carole Burant said...

Sounds to me like you had a perfect birthday celebration!! You deserve to get spoiled like that since you always do so much for others. Isn't watching glass being blown and shaped such a fascinating thing? In Niagara Falls they have this one shop where you can watch them doing that as well and it's just brilliant. LOVE the bracelet Mr. Wonderful bought for you! I would have definitely loved going inside that Jolly Roger Haggle Shop...sounds like my kind of place:-) So, I'm guessing turning 60 wasn't so painful after all, was it! hehe xoxox

 
design by suckmylolly.com