Thursday, November 19, 2009

60 or 16 ?


Today is my birthday and I don't share my cake with just anyone. I'm off playing today with Mr. Wonderful (my favorite playmate). Today I turn 60 years old, and despite the silver hair, adorable grandchildren, children who have turned into responsible adults, and the cute guy I married.... not much has changed since I was 16. Now, if you'll kindly stop laughing (it's ok, I'll wait!) let me explain.

Thirty-six years ago, my world changed drastically when I said, "I do" to Charlie Bennetch (the cute guy). Since then, we have been on a grand adventure that is anything but predictable. Through it all I have been blessed with good health, lots of laughter, friends, a wonderful family, a godly husband (who constantly rescues me), and most of all a faithful God and Savior who promised never to leave me or forsake me when I dedicated my life to him at 16.

In my head, I'm still a sixteen-year-old girl, full of life and waiting for the next adventure. In my head, I still have endless possibilities and creative energy. In my head are novels I've yet to write, places I've yet to explore, and friends I'm anxious to meet for the first time.

However, in my heart, I have wonderful memories of adventures completed, friends and family who helped shape my character and conduct and most of all I have a lifetime of daily interactions with Jesus Christ. As I age, I get more and more dependent on His Grace and Mercy and look forward to Heaven. I'm comforted knowing His mercies are new every morning and I rely on his grace moment by moment.

If you think about me today, on my birthday, please breathe a prayer that I will always remember to be gracious. God has extended such grace to me that I should be the most gracious person ever. Thank you for your cards and letters and most of all your friendship. I treasure each of you and value your impact on my life.

Today I wear the birthday tiara with pride and plan to celebrate life with all my favorite things, chocolate brownies from Chick-fil-A, Lunch at Red Lobster, Shopping at Target (with a 100-dollar gift card...Woo Hoo!) and renew my driver's license complete with new picture and new weight! 

6 comments:

Carole Burant said...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Daisy
Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuu!!!!

My, but you look simply MAH-VEL-LOUS for your age:-) May you always feel like 16, dear Daisy, and enjoy life to the fullest. Love you!! xoxox

Hootin Anni said...

I'm here from Pea's Corner...hope your celebration is super!!!!

Melli said...

Daisy... ONLY you would celebrate your 60th birthday with a trip to the DMV!!! ROFLMBO! I do hope you find some GRAND adventure there! That cake looks heavenly ... but I bet lunch at RL is even better! God is smiling at HIS memories of you today... as well as in His knowledge of what's in store for your future! I wonder what HIS notecard would say... Oh man! Now I wanna KNOW!

Happy HAPPY Birthday, my friend! I hope your day is PERFECT!

Merrie said...

Happy Happy Birthday! We continue to find parallels in our walk! I also turned 60 ... in October ... and we have been married for 36 years (July)....
So glad to meet you!
Have a blessed day!

Amber Star said...

Happy Birthday to you!! Sixty was a pretty good year, as I recall :)

Live everyday as if it is your birthday sans the shopping and cake and stuff. Just the joy of being you.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

What a nice write up!! I knew that you would have a great day..60 is not so bad..i will tell you about 65 in a few months..seems very old to me!! I will be an offical Senior Citizen then!! Smile!! Looking through your posts..i posted today!! WHOO HOO!!

 
design by suckmylolly.com