Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I'm just saying.....



I had a long talk with a good friend recently. It was long overdue. We talked about everything from finances to grandkids.

She told me that she had recently been to a baby shower and won a door prize. It was beautifully wrapped, and she was delighted at her good fortune. When she was given the prize, she was told to " wait and open it when you get home." So naturally she opened it while at the shower in front of everyone and was quite embarrassed. Inside the box were assorted "sex toys, lotions, thunder beads, and a video that had a photo on it that made her blush."

Of course, there is no way to open such a package without generating lots of attention from those sitting around you. What do you do when you are too embarrassed to even acknowledge that this box of "X-rated goodies" is now officially yours? She toyed with the idea of just leaving it under her chair but then decided it would be just her luck that the person who found it would remember it belonged to her and announce to the entire group that she had forgotten her "sex toys".

My friend repeatedly told me that "she is not a prude" but she was very offended and did not know how to respond without embarrassing herself or the host. Her husband told her to just throw it away. She would have but it occurred to her that maybe the trash man would see it and start looking at her funny.

"I didn't want anyone to know that it came from my house", she told me quite seriously, " so I took the whole thing into the backyard and burned it."

Daisy Dilemma: How would you have handled this situation?

Looking back in retrospect:  I have been to many bridal showers and have discovered that you can easily give the gift to the person being honored..

5 comments:

Amber Star said...

I'd not have made a fuss about it. It was obviously meant for one of the younger guests. You know, the ones who might want to get pregnant like their friend. I wouldn't have burned it, though. My goodness what if the fire department had shown up. We have burn bans a lot around here and we aren't allowed to burn anything in our backyards, except for the bbq grills.

You are asking the wrong person, my friend about how I'd have responded to this. I'd have waited to open the thing until I got home since that is what the hostess requested. Then I'd probably have looked it all over pretty good to see if there was anything fun in that package. But that is just me not wasting.

I wonder how she is going to word her thank you card. hmm..

Carole Burant said...

Oh dear, now that is quite the situation! lol It was obviously a joke gift for one of the younger guests and I can just imagine how uncomfortable the hostess herself felt when she realized who had won it! It's no wonder she had told her to wait until she got home to open it. If that had been me, I think I would have just had a good laugh about it with the others and then passed it on to anyone who wanted it! lol xoxo

Melli said...

Oh dear Lord! I AM a prude! I'd have crawled right under the TABLE! I wouldn't have burned it though... I have daughters! ONE of whom MIGHT be interested... Sans daughters, I would have triple bagged it - by itself with NO other identifying garbage and taken it to the dump! But I HAVE that option! Mm mm mm!

I don't really think that is an appropriate BABY shower prize... do you? I would think of that for more of a wedding shower thing... OR NOT AT ALL!

Ladybug Crossing said...

I think I might have re-packaged it all up and put it in one of those anonymous Yankee Swap things at Christmas.
:-)

Sue said...

The garbage would have worked just fine for me.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll visit you again.

 
design by suckmylolly.com