Monday, November 17, 2008

Monday Memories....My love affair with Cake!


I'm a sweet girl. I'm kind, thrifty, courteous, and all those virtues in the Girl Scout handbook. If I had any faults it would be that besides being sweet, I love sweets.
 I've never met a brownie, pie, or cookie that I didn't like which is why if I had a  talking scale it  would say to me, "Please, just one person at a time!"

 We didn't have cake very often when I was growing up. The cake stood for a special celebration...Birthdays, Christmas, Holidays, or special occasions. I had to share my birthday cake with my baby sister Beverly who has a birthday 5 days before me..As you might have guessed there wasn't much cake left to even blow out the candles. I was fourteen when she was born. I have noticed that if I'm mad, frustrated, or stressed I bake.

One vivid memory I have of cake was in Sunday School when I was about 12. The teacher asked for volunteers to help and of course, the boys were way too cool to volunteer. So she gave each girl a piece of cardboard with various items printed on them. Mine said, "Entertainment". She had us stand upfront with our signs and asked us if any of us knew what a budget was? She explained that what we were holding were items that our parents typically had to spend their money on every month.

 Then to our great delight, she pulled a 2 layer cake out of the box and started dividing the cake into percentages we had assigned the various categories. Of course, Housing and Food got the biggest pieces. I remember her asking me how much of the budget should be spent on Entertainment.....of course, I said "All of it!".After laughing and telling me that many people do spend almost their entire budget on entertainment she gave me a small piece (about 10 percent).

 By then the boys were demanding to participate so she handed out a few more parts of the budget. Finally, all the cake was gone but there was one more cardboard sign left. It said, "God". The boy who had that card looked very forlorn when the teacher handed him the empty plate with just a few crumbs left. It left a lasting impression on me that we give God the crumbs....not the first piece or even the best piece but the leftover crumbs.  It was the best tithing message I ever had and still remember to this day.

6 comments:

Jane said...

That was a great object lesson.
I am a sweet lover too. That is my downfall. So, I feel your pain my sister!!

Carole Burant said...

What a wonderful story and I loved the way the teacher used the cake to show a lesson. Like you, I have a very sweet tooth and it's always been hard for me to go on any diet because I crave sweets so much. It's almost like I have to have my "fix" every day! lol My favourite food...I think it has to be Brownies! The reason it's so special to me is because while growing up, every Saturday for dinner dessert, mom would make a huge brownie and how I looked forward to that every week:-) xoxo

Baba said...

Well.. girlfriend, it looks like all of us crave sweets !! I grew up where every night after supper, we were treated with a dessert..that bad habit is still in my system and is hard to break!!!! I have gained back 20 pounds from eating junk food, like cookies and candy..over the last 6 months...I keep telling myself to get back on track, and it hasn't happened yet!!Oh.. where is my willpower????
Tell me to start now and with God's help, I can make a turn-around.. talk later.
Love and miss you,
Baba

Melli said...

Oh, I'm going into MY kitchen right this minute and bake a cake for GOD! And he gets the WHOLE thing! I don't even get a BITE! (and cake IS my favorite food! You knOw that!)

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

you know on these memes it always asks..what is your favorite food? I never have a good answer because I really do NOT have a FAVORITE!! You really like CAKE though don't you? You have a happy birthday really soon...Wish we could do lunch!!

Jennifer said...

daisyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
how the heck are you? barbara was just chatting with me on facebook and metioned your name..
i was telling her about my fave blog, http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/ and i come over here and you're blogging about cake.. too funny..
i no longer blog but i still browse blogs!!!!
great to visit! i'll be back more.. adding you to my feedblitz!

 
design by suckmylolly.com