Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Thursday Thirteen...Colorful Vegetables

13 Colorful Vegetables I've Discovered




1. Blue Potatoes : are very much like Purple Potatoes with a striking color and wonderful flavor and moist texture. Like the Purple Potato, they hold their shape after cooking so are perfect for a purple or blue potato salad and also make a fun blue mashed potato. Steam or bake to preserve the color.


2, Cheddar Cauliflower: Let's face it, cauliflower is a bizarre looking vegetable to begin with. Why should we be so surprised to find an orange one? The breeders have been busy perfecting this oddity that popped up in a Canadian field back in 1970. 'Cheddar' just refers to the color, but the power of suggestion could fool the kids into trying it. They don't have to know 'Cheddar' contains about 25 times more beta carotene than white cauliflower. It also makes a fun fresh snack .

3. Ruby Queen: Corn holds a unique charm for kids. It towers over them with leaves that flop about like arms. 'Ruby Queen' shoots up 7' and produces ears of rich, ruby colored kernels that retain their color even after cooking. Imagine a plate of fresh grown 'Ruby Queen', 'All Blue' potatoes and 'Cheddar' cauliflower. What kid could resist?

4.Beet: Chioggia

Beets aren't usually on kids Top 10 list, but slices of Chioggia looks like peppermint swirls. No, they don't actually taste like peppermint, but they are extra sweet beets and they may be the ticket to getting your kids interested in eating beets.


5.Carrot: Kaleidoscope

With their natural sugar content, carrots often don't even seem like a vegetable. The fun in growing carrots is the expectation. Until you pull it out of the ground, you don't really know what you have.

You won't find a colorful array of carrots on the grocery shelf, but in the 'Kaleidoscope' blend, shown here, Burpee has combined seeds of 4 fanciful carrot colors: red, yellow, orange and purple. Make carrots fun and they could become your kids' favorite snack.


6.Bean: Italian Rose


Some kids (and some adults) have no idea where shell beans come from. These Italian Rose heirloom beans are stunning on the vine and the beautiful pods are packed with speckled beans. Rose speckled with white. White speckled with rose. Almost too beautiful to eat. They are also early and high-yielding.


7.Purple Bean 'Royal Burgundy'
'Royal Burgundy' beans are a fun way to engage your kids in the garden. It's a lot easier to pick purple beans than the green ones that blend in with the leaves. And 'Royal Burgundy' is an open pollinated variety that's easy to grow and matures even in cool summers.

One drawback is that purple beans tend to lose their color when you cook them. But that can be fun too. It's like a built in timer that they're done blanching.



8. Truly Sun Dried Tomatoes: 'Principe Borghese' is the perfect tomato for lazy gardeners. These little beauties aren't meant to be munched on in the garden. They're not bad fresh, but their fascination is that you can leave them right on the vine to dry. Quite the trick. Expose your kids to the finer tastes of life without the expense or the crowded upscale import market.



9. An Edible Bowl: Tomato: Yellow Magic
Kids pooh pooh peppers? Mess with their minds with these 'Yellow Magic' tomatoes. Yep, it's a tomato and on its own, it's delicious. But it looks like a pepper and makes a great little bowl for salads. Or stuff in your favorite filling and bake into a surprise entree. The magic is how easily kids who don't like stuffed peppers will enjoy growing and eating these illusions.

10.Squash 'Tromboncino'
Zucchini, in general, are great to grow with kids because they produce so quickly and so much. This old fashioned, Italian variety will be a huge hit, literally. The fruits can easily get 3' long and will wind around like corkscrews if they touch the ground. Grown straight on a vine, they look like clubs that could be used as a weapon. The flavor is similar to the zucchini you're familiar with, but the flesh retains its
firmness when cooked.

11. Egyptian Walking Onions aren't the big, round globes you think of as onions. Egyptian Walking Onions are much smaller bulbs that offer the double bonus of forming smaller bulblets on top of their stems in clusters, kind of like a freaky flower head. You can eat either end, but usually you eat the bulbs from the ground and plant the bulblets for more onions. They get the moniker Walking because if you don't harvest the bulbs, these perennial plants will walk their way across your garden.


12. Purple Tomatillo
Salsa is outselling catsup, yet most people don't even know what's in it. Tomatillos play a staring role in many salsas. You can guess by the papery husks, tomatillos are related to gooseberries and ground cherries. The green variety is fine for eating, but the purple tomatillos are a sight for sore eyes. The leaves are purple veined and the fruits are hidden in pale green husks until they pop open and begin flushing purple. They're an oddity and probably too tart for your kids to like as a fresh vegetable, but they'll enjoy collecting the
prolific fruits and using them to top their tacos.

13. Cucumber 'Armenian'
Cucumbers are so ubiquitous in salads we barely notice them. We've basically grown the one same slicing type of cucumbers for decades. New varieties have been sneaking into the produce aisle at specialty prices. One of the best tasting varieties is 'Armenian', a long, ribbed, pale green fruit that is so tender it doesn't need peeling.

OK, it looks a little prehistoric and funky. Trust me, it's a good vegetable for double daring your kid brother to eat.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



39 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of blue potatoes before. that is decidedly weird!

Michelle said...

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for most of these. They make vegetables seem so much more interesting. Plus I love to experiment with food, and these would be fun.

Maria's Space said...

That post made me very hungry for some fresh veggies. Love my veggies.

Anonymous said...

How cool! I had no idea blue potatoes and red corn existed! Happy TT!

Di said...

Fresh tomatoes...there's nothing like a fresh tomato sandwich in the summer.

Susan said...

Wow, who knew??? I am sheltered in the veggie world I guess.

Hugs,

Susan

Sarah in Disturbia said...

I LOVE your list! I am not a big vegetable eater, although I do like them. Those photos were gorgeous and the descriptions delightful! I am looking forward to trying something new. Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I love these heirloom varieties of vegetables. We've has blue potatoes a few times and I dream of planting the multicolor carrots one day

Melli said...

Have you TRIED all these? I want some of those purple beans and purple carrots! And the blue potatoes look awfully purple to me too! MAN! We need a good PURPLE day now? Which SAINT would that be???

Cynthia said...

Wow, those were all new to me. The Egyptian Onion, really weird. Great list!

SandyCarlson said...

No.9 is very interesting.

SJ Reidhead said...

Very nice - makes me want to fix dinner - and I hate cooking.

SJR
The Pink Flamingo

http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

Lori said...

Is this stuff real?? How cool. Happy TT and thanks for stopping by:)

Kathy said...

pretty interesting veggies you got there! things I've never considered before in preparing dinner....maybe adding a little "color" will make my family want to eat!

Open Grove Claudia said...

I love blue potatoes - lots of protein. Have you ever had blue mashed potatoes? They make a fun addition to Thanksgiving - really fun!

Happy TT!

WendyWings said...

Lots of really interesting varieties there !
I have had a couple of them but never heard of some ! Happy TT day.

Shari Ellen said...

Your post makes me want to plant a garden. I'd love to try planting blue potatoes and purple beans. First, I have to get this snow to melt.

Kaige said...

It's amazing how homogenized our veggies have become. I'm not sure I could eat blue mashed potatoes just for the color. =)

Happy TT!
http://impulsivehearts.wordpress.com/

Gattina said...

I have never seen "walking onions" in Egypt. Do you have to put a grid around the table when you peel them ? They could walk away, lol !

Cheerio said...

If only all vegetables are as appealing as you present them, who wouldn't want to eat more vegetables. Blue potato? I have never seen one yet.

Anonymous said...

This is really neat! I have learned alot about colorful vefetables. I am bookmarking you and will have to show the kiddies in my Kindergarten class! Thanks for visiting me!

I am also at Mercedes Rocks hosting two very new memes (Scrumptious Sunday & Hump Day Humor). Come on over and play sometime!

http://mercedesrocks.wordpress.com

j said...

INTERESTING! I have never seen blue potatos.

Jen

Robin said...

That cheddar cauliflower looks delish. Not sure about the blue potatoes though!

Michelle B said...

These are great! I haven't heard of many of them though. And I love the brightly colored veggies :-)

Anonymous said...

My aunt used to make blue potatoes -- and rice -- with food dye. I thought it was cool, but when I got older I learned she did it because they had little money and she tried to pep the basics up with a little color. ;)

Incidentally, it's been proven that 'blue' is the worst color for food. It decreases appetite. (So that would be a plus for dieting.)

None of this stops me from wanting the purple beans tho ;)

Ladybug Crossing said...

All those veggies look fun!
xo
LBC

Mia Celeste said...

My favorites are the walking onions.

Anonymous said...

fascinating!
I had no idea...
I hope you don't mind that I'll be sharing a link to this post in one of my blogs later on today

Anonymous said...

Those blue potatoes were interesting.

Happy TT!

- Renee

Anonymous said...

I love this list! I'm so checking out from grocery store for blue potatoes.

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm a traditionalist. I'm usually taken back when vegetables aren't the colors I'm used to. I did write that tomato type down though. I would love to get some of those! The beets were fun too.

YellowRose said...

Very cool looking veggies!! I am going to look for these, to spice up our salads, etc! Fun TT!!!

Unknown said...

Definitely makes for a colorful garden. My MIL likes to try new ones and we have done the beans and a few other things over the years.
Great TT.
Mine is up @ The Cafe

Linda said...

You introduced me to vegetable I have never heard of. At first I thought the blue potatoes were blue grapefuits.

orneryswife said...

Fascinating. I have never heard of or seen most of those, although I did see the blue potatoes once at Whole Foods. Thanks for visiting Miller Manor. Happy TT!
TM

Baba said...

Wow... I have never heard of half of these vegetables..I would like to try the purple beans and blue potatoes...Our farmers down here must be color blind and don't grow them in our area...I am going to a special store and look for them..I can see Mr. Freddie turning up his nose to blue mashed potatoes...
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Hugs, Baba

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Okay so this is funky vegies day!! Man I have never heard of any of these before. Weird. I think it was be fun to try these though...what a list. Sandy

Anonymous said...

Very creative! I liked the pix. I'll have to try some of those this summer.

Jane said...

Now those are some interesting veggies!!! I have eaten a couple of these but most are new to me!!
I hope your Easter has been glorious so far.
Rejoice....HE IS RISEN!!!!

 
design by suckmylolly.com