Sunday, August 06, 2006

Monday Memories...The Tea Party

When our girls were young (2 and 4) they loved to play dress up. They loved to put on hats, gloves, play dresses , beads and pretend.

We had just moved to Dickinson, North Dakota (not the end of the world but you can see it from there!). We were living in an apartment while we looked for employment. I was 9 months pregnant with Boy Wonder and our finances were very limited.

One morning while Mr. Wonderful was out looking for a job I discovered that the only food we had in the house was a can of biscuits and a box of lime jello. At first, I was shocked that there was no other food. Then panic set in as I thought of the girls.

While they were still asleep, I made the jello and put it in a cake pan (the only pan I could find at the time) while I cried. I started praying and reminded God how bad things were. I asked for a job for Mr. Wonderful, a doctor for the new baby and food for my children. I also asked for wisdom on how to handle the situation so as not to alarm the girls.

"Make it a celebration" was the thought that came into my mind very loud and clear.

So with a prayer of thanksgiving, I woke the girls with excitement about the wonderful Tea Party were going to have. They quickly caught the enthusiasm in my voice and were excited too.

"Can we dress up for the party?" they asked.

"Absolutely," I said. So we began our "dress-up " tea party. We laughed and giggled at the strange and wonderful outfits they created.

I pulled out the lace table cloth and the good dishes to set the table for our special party.

While looking for a cookie sheet to put the biscuits on, I found some cookie cutters. So the girls and I used them to cut out stars, hearts, bells, and other shapes in the jello while the biscuits cooked.

Our tea party of biscuits and jello was a smashing success. We sipped water from our tea cups and ate our "treats" with our little pinkies held up. We were proper "ladies" in our beads and bonnets!

We decided to have " a fashion parade" down the hall to the mail box hoping to impress our neighbors. We got several startled looks and some lovely comments on our beautiful outfits. The girls loved all the attention and hammed it up even more.

They could hardly wait for Daddy to come home to join in the fun .

The mail that morning made me cry. We got a check for 50 dollars with a note that said, "The Lord told me that you might need this." The money bought groceries for a week.

What could have been a diaster turned out to be a lovely memory. I learned that God is never surprised and provided for our needs days in advance through a totally different source.

When God says, "What's in your hand?" Know that He can make it an asset!

22 comments:

Olyal said...

That is such a great story!!! My grandmother used to say "it'll all come out in the wash", meaning everything will turn out ok. It just goes to show that with faith and friends anything is possible.
Michele sent me.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story! It reminds me very much of the Laura Ingalls Wilder series. They's often make something special out of a situation that seemed hopeless and then find their luck had changed. Michele sent me.

Anonymous said...

Wow am I glad Michele sent me here today.
What a lovely lovely post.
Your blog is pretty.

MaR said...

Awww, Lazy Daisy, I loved this post. How wonderful. Saw you at Michele's this time but you know I a am a "regular"! hugs, dear!

Jane said...

Oh Daisy....what a testimony! I will never forget when our youngest son was 9 months old. He was in the hospital with broncialitis. We were in our first appointment after Warren finished seminary and we hardly had two nickels to rub together. The day our baby was released from the hospital, Warren went home first and said he would have dinner ready when my mom and I got there with the baby.
When we got there he told us to sit down and he would bring us dinner. He brought us a steaming bowl of dumplings and we devoured it. After we finished he told us we had eaten "Squirel dumplings"! When he had gotten home the only thing we had was some milk, some flour and a squirel that a friend had shot in our back yard and he had cleaned and thrown in the freezer....at the time he did not know why he was doing that! But God knew that we would have need of it.
Isn't it wonderful how God supplies our needs even before we know we have a need! God bless you my friend, I thank God for every remembrance of you.

Anonymous said...

Really sweet story. BTW, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!

Tracie Nall said...

What a great story--a testimony of God's goodness and provision--and something I sorely needed to read today. Trust me, if you didn't share this story for any other reason, it was becuase the Lord knew that I could use some encouragement like this! Have a wonderful week!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a wonderful memory and so filled with ingenuity and faith, too! Lovely, lovely...thanks for sharimg this.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

You know those who think that God does not answer prayers ought to read your blog for this week. He does...You and I both know that for sure!! This is only one more reason that I think blogging is so great!! It gets out there wonderful true stories of how God works in others lives..the REAL stories that have REALLLY happened!! Thanks for sharing with us. I can just see you doing this. God is so GOOD!! Nice talking to you this afternoon. I got my blog ready for tomorrow for my tribute to my dad for his 88th birthday.

By the way the president never called!!!

Sandy

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

This is a very beautiful memory you just have shared. This is something that our young ones should read. It is a memory indeed but along with comes a moral lesson. Trust in the Lord and He will always provide.
Thanks for dropping by.

Carmen said...

wish I could've seen you all strutting down the hallway! Isn't it great how God always provides? Though it's often hard to trust in that. :)

Anonymous said...

That's a very wonderful memory. I love how you made it to a positive thing and something they probably hold as their dearest memory too.

Katherine said...

What a wonderful story! You're always such an inspiration.

Sherri said...

How precious!! I love the stories you share:)

Pixie said...

I'm in purple puddles; that is so sweet & a wonderful memory. It speaks volumes about trust & faith & making a scary situation better by not wallowing in it. I'm also a little jealous of your girls who liked to dress up; my girl would rather swing from the rafters. *sigh*

YellowRose said...

Now you've done it, you made me get all teary eyed! Being in a pastor's family I have listened to Big D's family tell stories like this one from their very lean years. It just makes you realize that God always has things in control, you just have to trust and have faith. Thanks sis for sharing your story, and for having faith. You blessed me today! Love ya!

Viamarie said...

That is a very wonderful memory. I can feel the very strong love you have for your kids. They must be very proud to have you as their mama.

Thanks for sharing that sweet story. Good day!

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

What a nice story! You're write, too -- God is never surprised. :)

Kelly Curtis said...

So darling! I bet you'd have a great post for Pass the Torch Tuesday.

Samantha said...

Thankyou for sharing that with us! I, along with my husband and little girls have been in that situation, and God has ALWAYS come through for us! He has never let me down thus far :)

Melli said...

That is SUCH a wonderful story! Boy... I have some near miss stories like this myself! And sometimes I had asked for God's help - and sometimes He just handed it to me without my asking! He never let's us down though... That was VERY creative thinking on your part to come up with the Tea Party! I LOVE it!!!

Norma said...

This is a wonderful story--well worth publishing in your church journal. I remember playing dress ups--it was great fun. You've given the children a terrific memory.

My MM is up.

 
design by suckmylolly.com