Everyone loves Independence Day, the quintessential American holiday, full of parades, picnics, and ... surprising facts? You bet! Be the life of the party--share a few of these tasty nuggets of knowledge with your fellow picnickers this year.
1. Independence Day commemorates the formal adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. However, it was not declared a legal holiday until 1941.
6. The first two versions of the Liberty Bell were defective and had to be melted down and recast. The third version rang every Fourth of July from 1778 to 1835, when, according to tradition, it cracked as it was being tolled for the death of Chief Justice John Marshall.
7. The American national anthem, the "Star-Spangled Banner," is set to the tune of an English drinking song ("To Anacreon in Heaven").
8. The iron framework of the Statue of Liberty was devised by French engineer Alexandre-Gustave Eiffel*, who also built the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
9. The patriotic poem "America the Beautiful" was published on July 4, 1895 by Wellesley College professor Katharine Lee Bates*.
10. Father of the country and architect of independence George Washington held his first public office at the tender age of 17. He continued in public service until his death in 1799
Information taken from MSN Encarta Premium


4 comments:
What would we do without good software!! Very good list Miss Daisy!! I hope that you are having a great 4th. We just finished painting our computer room geranium green!! I think it is going to look nice!! It is GREEN!! I am sorry about Betsy Ross not having the chance to sew the first flag. I now feel sorry for her!! Boo hoo!!
I always learn something from you!!! Hope you are having a great 4th!!
Great facts.
Hope you had a great day!
Post a Comment