Monday, May 29, 2006

Monday Memory.....3 broken arms!

I broke my arm in the first, second, and third grades. It really wasn't that hard. I really never had to work at it. (Just call it a natural ability). I am the middle child in my family. Seems like I spent most of my childhood running after my big sister hoping she would let me play. Like most pesky kid sisters I would do outrageous things to get her to pay attention to me. (Yes, I was an exhibitionist even back then, thank you for asking!) 


 The first time I broke my arm I was roller-skating on broken payment. We had skates that clamped onto your shoes with a skate key (anyone remember them?) My sister was riding a bike and I was trying to "keep up with her on my skates". She did not want me following her so rode faster than I could skate. I went down a small incline too fast, couldn't stop so slammed into a parked car.

 The doctor called in "a greenstick fracture". It was my left wrist and I wore a cast for six weeks. It itched, covered my wrist and elbow, and my sister carried my book bag for me. The following year I really broke my arm! No greenstick fractures for this kid. I was playing on the monkey bars at the park. I had seen this neat trick on TV and thought I would attempt it. It consisted of hanging upside down ( no one had explained gravity to me and my attempt was quickly crushed as well as my left arm!)

 I remember going home with my mangled arm telling my dad, "I can't bend my arm." I had surgery to repair my left wrist. We went to the same ER, same doctor and I wore a long cast for six weeks. It was hot, it itched, it smelled funky by the sixth week and it didn't get me out of any school work.

 My sister started calling me a "klutz" and made me carry my own book bag. The following year I broke my arm again. This time it really wasn't my fault. We were playing touch football in the yard. We had all the "big kids" and even some of the dads were playing with us. I had the football and was running for the goal when I got tackled by a dad. A big dog pile ensued and the arm around the football was crushed and I had the wind knocked out of me.

 I left the game crying and was called a "baby" by the dad who fell on me. Again, same ER, same doctor, same outcome. This time my sister made me go over to the neighbor's house and demanded he apologizes to me for calling me a baby. When I went to get the cast "cut off" the doctor looked at me very gruffly and said, "Young lady, you break this arm again and I'll cut it off!" I believed him and never broke my arm again! 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story - except being called a baby, that wasn't nice of that dad. Hope he learned something when he had to apologize to you.

I've never broken anything, despite the fact that there was a lot of events that could have...

I had a cast once on my left arm because it went "out of joint" (don't know what you call it in english) when I was thrown off a horse very rough. I had to wear it for weeks. The arm was still very colorful when they took it off....

Anonymous said...

Trying to visit the Wordless Wednesday blogs (which will probably take me until this Wednesday LOL!)

Yes, I have broken many bones - some of them twice - LOL! So many I've written a book about it! (Well a few of the chapters are about my broken bones LOL)

I had those clamp on skates that took a key - I remember they slid apart lengthwise to accomodate different sized feet.

I got a late start as I have an awful lot of dead relatives, hence a lot of cemeteries to visit- LOL!

Terrific blog you have here - thanks for sharing!

Hope you are having a fabulous Memorial Day weekend!

Ladybug Crossing said...

I never broke a bone. That's probably a miracle considering my klutziness...

Have a good Memorial Day!
LBC

srp said...

I remember those skates, had a pair. My mom had a pair as well. She begged for them and her dad finally gave in. The first time she wore them, she fell and broke her arm. That was the end of the skates.

I have never broken a bone... knock on wood.... well, perhaps my finger where there is still a bump because we never did anything about it. I think that was volleyball. But I have had many encounters with the pavement and scarred up my knees from falling off a bicycle... to the point that my mom took it away after I fell and knocked the bandage off from the previous fall, about a half an hour earlier.

Pink Chihuahua Princess said...

Oh my goodness! This really makes my heart go out for you even though it was several years ago. Here's to good luck in continuing your no breaking streak for all these many years. :)

MaR said...

Oh, you poor child. I haven't really broken a bone but I have had a cast on twice, my right foot: fissures. The first time I was in college, the second time was about 10 years ago. Don't want any more issues like these ones! happy monday!

YellowRose said...

We are so alike its scary!!! LOL

I shattered my nose, playing softball. Broke a couple fingers, but other than that it was mainly sprains and torn muscles! lol

You poor thing, I can feel for ya as a kid though....I was a klutz too! ;)

Love ya!

Unknown said...

Daisy - I haven't broken a thing. What an awful thing to say to a small child, that dad should be ashamed of himself. Glad you healed.

craziequeen said...

No broken bones except my toes and a couple of cracked ribs...

I put it down to a pint of milk a day as a kiddy.....

My MM is up! :-)

cq

Sparrow said...

Very entertainingly written! I've never broken anything but maybe a toe, but I sprianed my wrist pretty badly once. My mom was recovering from surgery and my sister had just left for a summer school class, so I was supposed to be doing all the cooking and cleaning. Haha! I couldn't even cary a full pot of food.

My MM is up.

Renee Nefe said...

I've broken one of the only bones in the body that you can't put a cast on...twice!

That would make for a pretty good MM...but it's almost 8pm. hummmm

I'll share it with you instead. I broke my tail bone. Once in High School while trying to straddle the vault...landed square on my tail bone and heard it crunch. Sat funny for a few weeks with a nice bruise.

Broke it the second time on a very steep slide in Korea (they're known for their safe playgrounds there.) I found on later that my neighbor broke his on the slide too. Misery loves company. :D

WendyWings said...

I broke my wrist breaking in a horse. I was the one that ended up broken LOL.

Anonymous said...

I've broken my ankle, and I've shattered my toe, which took 6 months to heal. the ankle wasn't too bad.

Melzie said...

LOL-- never had a broken bone ever--- but enjoyed reading about yours, especially your sisters role in them!!

Anonymous said...

When I was five I fell off of a ramp and broke the radius and ulna in my left arm. Both bones were broken at a bad angle about halfway between my wrist and elbow. I had my arm in a cast and sling for 6 weeks. I still have a sloight bump on my ulna and a slight bend in my radius. My arm does ache at times when it is cold and it is slightly weak. I have managed, however, to avoid breaking it again.

 
design by suckmylolly.com