Monday, March 12, 2007

Monday Memory...Monk Hair

Since we have not been able to see our new grandbaby yet we especially love seeing pictures of her. I print out new pictures every week and take them with me everywhere for fear of being ousted from the "Grandmother Club".


 Emma's latest picture made me remember that her Mom had the same hairdo when she was this age. We called it the Monk Look. Hardly any hair on top and fringe on the sides (looks almost like a wreath around her head.) 

 None of our children had an overabundance of hair.....especially Becky. We were living in a farming community at the time of her birth. Several farmers raised pigs and the baby piglets would be born in the winter months. The farmers would give the sows Iodine in their diet and the baby piglets would be born with red curly hair all over their body providing more warmth.

 I remember one church member and farmer looking at our precious baby girl and saying, "You should have had more iodine in your diet!" I knew immediately what he was he was talking about.

 Because Becky had very little hair I tried dressing her in pink and very girly clothing. It didn't help. People would look at her and say, "What a good-looking little boy!" Usually, I would just ignore the comment since I didn't know the person and anyone I thought, could look at her darling face and know she was a girl.

 Finally, in desperation, I would glue a bow on her head. I would put a little dab of Karo syrup on her head and glue the bow into it. The Karo syrup would wash right out with her bathwater, wouldn't pull out the little hair she had and that way I could honestly say, "She's a sweet little girl!" Did your babies have very much hair when they were first born?

12 comments:

Casa De Galletti said...

DD had/has so little hair that at almost 6 she still hasn't had a real haircut - only trimming of the ratty ends - it's barely shoulder length. But it's a wonderful honey blonde with medium-sized loose curls all over.

Unknown said...

Emma looks like a wonderful little girl to me. My son had good coverage when he was born. I hope he enjoyed it, on both sides of his family the men start going bald early in life.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

Emma looks beautiful! :)

Melli said...

My babies were cue-balls! They didn't even have the MONK thing happening! And I used to glue bows on Amanda's head too -- pretty little PINK bows -- and people would still comment how cute HE was! I gave it up to the "idiot factor"! Krysti actually had the most hair -- I could clip barrettes in her hair! They wouldn't stay - but I could do it! :)

Thanks for your comments on my upcoming battle! I know... The FORCE is with me!!! Amen!

Ladybug Crossing said...

LOL!! They both had decent amounts of hair when they were born, but it all fell out! LLB had red hair for one day and that left - never to be seen again. Now, they have plenty of hair - sometimes I think #1 has too much. It grows long, but it bushes it just won't flatten out. He looks like he has a shrub on his head!!! I did make him get a trim this past week - he had concerts he was playing. I can't have the 1st chair sax looking like an azaelea bush, can I??
xo
LBC

Viamarie said...

She's a cutie! I remember my grandson had lots of hair but my granddaughter who is now 5 months old hardly has any hair. Hair or without hair, babies always look very cute.

Happy Monday!

Norma said...

Mine both had hair, one medium brown the other white blond. Both are dark brunette now. I'd never heard of the syrup for attaching a bow. Great idea! And what a cute baby.

Unknown said...

Hope this isn't the second comment. Computer stuff is kinda messed up around here this a.m.

At least she has hair. Colleen didn't until she was TWO!!!

Hope to see ya soon.

Jennifer said...

Mine all had very little at birth, then it all fell out, leaving them pretty much bald :) By their first birthdays, though, they all had enough to keep their little heads warm! :)
Miss Emma is adorable....as usual! You are in NO danger of being ousted from the Grandmother's Club! :)

Twisted Cinderella said...

My baby didn't have enough hair to put a bow in until after she was two and even then it was on of those tiny little pebbles ponytails on the top of her head.

MaR said...

Emma is such a cute little girl!! our son didn't have much hair but it was dark so you could see every single one, lol! I always look for a hint when I don't know if it's a boy or a girl, or I go ahead and ask, I don't want to hurt sensitive feelings :)

Jane said...

CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!!! Both my babies were as bald as cue balls! In fact, I thought our oldest was going to go to school bald and toothless! But, they were boys, so that wasn't as bad.
Keep posting the pics of Emma, I LOVE seeing them.

 
design by suckmylolly.com