Mr. Wonderful and I work at mission. We spend a lot of our time lifting and moving items from one place to another. It's not glamorous work and we come home tired and exhausted. More often than not we have to really pray about having a good attitude.
It's hot in the summer and really cold in the winter. The piles never seem to get smaller and there is always something else to inventory or process. The sheer volume is overwhelming and at times it feels as if we are trying to push a huge boulder uphill only to see it tumble down again once we get it to the top.
I read this story today and it helped to put things in perspective for me.
A young missionary in Central America was tempted to give up. He wrote to friends and family. "I go about on fishing boats throughout the day. At night I sleep on piles of hides on the deck. The people do not seem to be interested in the gospel message I bring. Sometimes the adversary tempts me to discouragement in the face of seeming lack of success." But then he added. "I take courage and press on anew as I remember that God does not hold me responsible for success but for faithfulness."The prophet Isaiah also may have been tempted to give up his difficult assignment. The Lord told him that the results of his efforts would be that the people would hear, but not understand, and see but not perceive. (Isaiah 6:9) Their heart would be dull, their ears heavy, and their eyes shut. ( v.10)
Put yourself in the shoes of Isaiah or that missionary. Would you have pressed on or given up? Is faithfulness enough, or do you think your work must be recognized as successful before you feel satisfied in serving the Lord? Definitely something to think about.
7 comments:
Faithfulness is a hard word to really stay true too. You and Charlie do have a time trying to keep going I am sure. I know it would be hard for me, but when you look at it the way you have put it here on your blog...in the positive way that Christ would look at it then it all makes sense, doesn't it? We have to look at everything in the positive way or nothing would seem right. Hang onto your faith and God will do the rest.
Thanks for stoppingy by my post as always.Pray for Danielle and Casey Roberts.
I look at what you and Charlie do and feel like I am so unworthy! Your faithfulness is amazing and I know that there are times when you must feel like you want to just give up, but the faithful will be rewarded and your reward will be great!!! Love you!!
Wow! That is a great post and reminder that we need to stay faithful to the higher calling which is in Christ, right??? It's hard sometimes, but SO WORTH IT!! Hubby and I were just talking about this tonight as we discussed what we want to do "when we grow up". I think the "right" answer is..."whatever God wants"! Blessings to you both in your ministry.
:-) Susan
Daisy - Just do what your heart tells you to do. There are many ways to be faithful, all worthy. Doing exhausting physical labor is for the young. I would not consider it giving up, just transitioning. God rested on the seventh day, you can too. Go teach Sunday School already.
I loved this, Daisy. It really made me think. Thanks for the reality check!
I DO wonder what I would have done. And I must honestly answer "I don't know"... I guess until hit smack dab in the head with it, I wouldn't know. I do think it's easy to lose sight of how important the work that you do is when it's 102 in the shade... or 25 in the sun... and you're ripping your hair out trying to make numbers add up! I hope at the end of the day you're able to relax and give thought to the many many people all over the world who are benefiting from the sweat of your labor! I know the Lord notices! (and I'm sure your blessings have been great... though probably sometimes unnoticed also!) ;)
You ALWAYS have such inspirational thoughts up here LD -- I love your blog!!!
You really should write a devotional book, perhaps "Devotions for the Daily Blogger". I always leave with a tear in my eye and a new perspective.
I think it is just another evidence of God's great power and love for us that he only expects us to be faithful, show God's love to the world by our actions and prayer. Any success is His.
Post a Comment