Monday, June 12, 2006

Tasty Tuesday...The Gift

Welcome to Tasty Tuesday! On Tasty Tuesdays I give myself permission to focus on non-food items that feed the brain, the spirit, or the soul.

I love poetry. I've dabbled in writing some poetry of my own and I've always enjoyed reading the poems of others.

Years ago as a young wife and mother I discovered the poetry of Ruth Harms Calkin. I would read her poetry and say to myself, "I could have written that!" (Granted, not as well....but I could certainly relate to her thoughts and emotions.)

I was cleaning off my book shelf tonight and found one of her books of poetry. It was like finding an old friend again. I was again moved by her words and the depth of emotions. The following poem is one of her best and is entitled "The Gift".

I heard today
Of a decrepit native woman
Who walked mile after mile
Under the blistering sun
To bring a small gift of embroidery
To the missionary she deeply loved.
Hour after hour she trudged
Over rough, rugged roads
Clutching tightly her small gift.
Her weary body sagged
Her vision blurred
Her bare feet bled from the jagged rocks.

Grateful but overwhelmed
The missionary wept.
The trembling old woman spoke softly:
"Please understand.
The walk is part of the gift."

My Lord
My commitment to You is for life.
I give myself to You unreservedly
To do with me as You please.
But may I not forget
That the tears, the fears
The strain and the pain
The sunless days
The starless nights
Are all part of the whole.
In my total commitment
I give full consent:
The walk is part of the gift.


7 comments:

YellowRose said...

With tears in my eyes I write that is beautiful.....

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

This is a very beautiful poem. A poem that relates to people offering whatever they may have or may have not, people suffering from pain.
I had copied this poem for my own keeping.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

"The walk is part of my gift" Yes, very nicely written. I always wished that I could write like that. I just always wished that I could write..PERIOD!! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

OK..let's try this again. Tried leaving you a note this morning, but kept getting a "page can't be found" when I would submit it.

I'm with Yellow Rose. I had tears in my eyes as I read this. It is such a vivid reminder that its not the end of the journey that matters so much to God, but rather that you took the journey WITH HIM. I'm good at putting the cart before the horse. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Anonymous said...

this is soooooooooo breath takingly beautiful. Yet, I fill with tears....the committment of her!!!

MaR said...

I like basic poetry, nothing complicated. Love your poem!

Viamarie said...

lOVELY!!! The simple gift of self is indeed the greatest gift of all.

Thanks and God Bless You Always.

(((Hugs)))

 
design by suckmylolly.com