Monday, October 05, 2009

150th Anniversary of Bethany Lutheran Church


Yesterday Mr. Wonderful and I went back to his boyhood church to celebrate the church's 150th Anniversary. The little country church building is over 100 years old and is very quaint and beautiful.

Mr. Wonderful's father was a minister in this church for 20 years. We laughed at 9 year old "skinny boy wonderful" in the church picture taken at the 100th celebration.



We were thrilled to be joined by Mr. Wonderful's brother Jim and wife Marilyn from Richmond.

Mr. Wonderful doesn't reminisce often but he was definitely in his element on Sunday riding through the back woods, and twisting roads of his youth. He pointed out all the landmarks, his elementary school and the homes of every church member as well as going by the former parsonage which had been sold years ago and is sadly in disrepair.
We also went through the church cemetery . Mr. Wonderful's first job was mowing the grass in the cemetery. He likes to say he never got any complaints from the people he worked for at his first job. It was a day of sad reflection as so many members had passed away and were buried there, but also a day of reunions with former friends he had not seen in 30 years or more.

It was a gorgeous day and a full day. We shook hands and kissed enough babies to qualify as a political contender. I heard many a "Mr. Wonderful" story about boy wonderful and every twist and turn of the road produced a new story from my very animated husband.

It was a really good day. Mr. Wonderful said a few words to the congregation on behalf of the family. He remarked that a "life well lived" was the example his parents left to him and to the congregation. His father preached the gospel every Sunday and lived what he preached throughout the week. His parents are still held in high regard even to this day.

I know I've been out of touch for a long time. So the next few days will probably have a lot of catch up posts. Missed you.

4 comments:

Susan said...

First of all, I must say "Wow, Mr. Wonderful and his brother look alike!" OK..now on to the more indepth comment. I love this. I love the history. I love the celebration. I love the legacy that his parents left for him and his family. What a precious memory for him. I'm glad you all got to be there for this special celebration.

Hugs,

Susan

Melli said...

WOW! What Susan said! This is soooo cool! I can't imagine going back to a little neighborhood church like that and having people still know who I was 50 years later! (or even 30) The church I started out in was huuuuuuge even way back when. And I doubt if there's a single family that WAS there that is still there! So to have Mr. Wonderful be able to go back - and I know that people came to the 150th from ALL OVER - but still - how cool is that! And that people from today's congregation still hold his parents in high esteem! That is just amazing! I bet he was like a kid in a candy shop!

Annnnnnnnnd... it is SO good to see you! Pleeeease stay awhile!

Jane said...

Daisy, what 'precious memories'! Isn't it a blessing to have a legacy of faith and service to God? The pictures are so lovely and I appreciate you sharing this with all of us. Reading your post made me think of the song "Find Us Faithful",
"Oh may all who come behind us find us faithful. May the fire of our devotion light their way. May the footprints that we leave, lead them to believe and the lives we live inspire them to obey. Oh may all who come behind us find us faithful."

Unknown said...

She's ALIVE!!! (I'm glad you're posting again, momma.) Great pics. I know dad must have really had a good time.

 
design by suckmylolly.com