Friday, January 30, 2009

Why do I even carry a cell phone?


I've been getting that question a lot lately. Usually from my family members who have tried to call my cell phone and didn't get me. Did they leave a message? Who knows? I've never set up a retrieval box .

My cell phone is for my use. If I'm stranded in wilderness some where or even trying to locate Mr. Wonderful at the mission. I call him and say "Where are you?" He comes and rescues me just like Daniel Day-Lewis in the Last of the Mochians .

His latest rescue was to find my phone. Yes, literally to try and find where I last had it. I am a creature of habit. If I take my phone with me it's usually in my purse in a outside pocket, or in the pocket of whatever coat, jeans or sweat shirt I'm wearing. The problem comes because I don't always wear the same jacket, coat, or sweat shirt. I often dress in layers in the winter time so I have many pockets to choose from. No problem you say, just call the phone and locate it by the ring.

Sounds simple right? I called my phone and found out , "I'm not taking calls right now but I could leave a message it I wanted to." I had no idea I wasn't taking calls. When did I decide on that? So I left myself a message to call me back when ever I was in again, knowing that I never check messages. After searching the unusual drop off places and not finding my hot pink phone I turned to my hero Mr. Wonderful to help in the search. The following is a snippet of our conversation.

Me: Honey, have you seen my phone?

Him: You mean your hot pink one?

Me: (Thinking to myself....how many phones does he think I own?) Yes, I can't find it.

Him: Where did you leave it last?

Me: (again thinking to myself....If I knew where I last had it, wouldn't I have already gone and got it?) I'm not sure.

Him: Just call yourself and listen for it to ring.

Me: I already did that, but I'm not taking any calls right now.

Him: Oh, the battery must be dead.

Me: (Thinking to my myself, so that's why I'm not taking calls!)

Long story short....He found it in under 5 minutes whereas I would still be looking for it. We have this great relationship. He's the finder......so I guess that makes me the LOSER! Oh well, it works for me!

8 comments:

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Oh you are not the LOSER..he is just the finder like most men...
I wonder why I have my phone sometimes because it hardly ever rings and then when it does..it about scares me to death..I usually jump!! Ha!!
No, i am not down by no means just mad that I should be doing something to help us out right now..Mike has a good opportunity coming so hopefully it will work out..Sandy

Melli said...

No no no no no... You have it all WRONG! He's the FINDER - that makes YOU the KEEPER! Finder's Keepers! THAT's the way it works! Silly... you could NEVER be a loser! GOD doesn't make losers!

Jane said...

Yea, what Melli said!!! But what I don't understand is when I lose something it's my fault and when HE loses something it's my fault. Something about that just doesn't seem right!!!

mompoet said...

Thank you for my morning wake-up chuckle today, Daisy! Your tale of cell phone woes is so familiar to me! Good thing you and Mr. W have each other.
mp

Baba said...

Well... I have lost my cell phone a few times.. I call my phone number, but it is not always around for me to hear the ring..once at a car wash place, a guy found a cell phone of me under my front seat and gave it back to me...strange places cell phones can disappear to!!!!

Fred is feeling better today with Nurse Baba taking care of him...

Have a good week-end and hang on to your phone.. Hugs, Baba

Linda said...

What a familiar story. I leave my cellphone in my coat or car all the time. Also I forget to take it with me even with a BIG sign on the garage door saying "CELLPHONE".

Sorry I haven't been around lately. I think it can be summed up best as to what Sandy said in her blog..being in a rut. The lack of sunshine has drained my motivation.

Amber Star said...

Oh my gosh that sounds so like me. When I was working my phone rang all the time...both my work phone and my personal cell, but recently not so much. Anyway, we upgraded our phones this year and so far we have used them to find each other in stores when we wander off from each other.

I get so frustrated when I can't find things and, too have to go to my Mr. Wonderful. He has an uncanny instinct to find my stuff. I used to have it, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I lose mine all of the time. I have one just like this. :) *LOL*
My kids like to "pretend" they are talking on it and will lay it down in crazy places.

 
design by suckmylolly.com