Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Thursdays Thirteen....13 Ways to Write for Under 15 minutes

13 Ways to Write for Under 15 Minutes


1. Keep a One Year Diary...Because the format restricts you to one page (approximately 100 words) writing takes 10 minutes or less a day.
2. On a wall calendar write one adjective describing your day. Then underneath it, write one adjective describing how you want tomorrow to be. This takes about a minutes and becomes a fascinating exercise in creating your own reality.
3. Pick a theme word for a week or a month.-happiness,loneliness,confusion,clarity,anger, change, etc. Spend 5 to 15 minutes each day writing about how you experienced the theme word of the day.
4. Capture a moment from your day-the rainbow out of your office window, the luxury of a bubble bath, an act of kindness some one did for you. If you can't find a moment to record, slow down a little and start expecting miracles. They might just show up.
5. Set the kitchen timer for 15 minutes. Quit writing when it dings.
6. Write a description of a stranger- the person across from you on the bus, the little blond kid in the bright red dress, someone you'll never see again, someone you haven't met yet.
7. Write a list of "10 Things I want off my List by tomorrow". Keep the list with you throughout the days and feel good about crossing off items as you finish them.
8. Write a "Win List" of anything at all that went right during the day. ( Yes, there are days when "getting out of bed" counts.)
9. Record a fantasy. Close your eyes and think about what life would be like if your job,relationship, children, or spouse were perfect. Then write about your inner journey.
10. Write a postcard and send it to yourself. (Here's the ultimate travel tip for journal writers on the go-write your daily log on the back of a picture postcards.
11. Thumb through an old magazine until a picture "sings" to you. Clip the picture and paste it in your journal and write about it.
12. Jot down a note to your younger self. Tell yourself lessons you have learned and what to watch out for.
13. Write a prayer. Gratitude is always a good thing to express.


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


25 comments:

YellowRose said...

I like these!!! I'm going to use some of these in the future when I have a block!

Have a wonderful TT!!

Anonymous said...

What a great list. I'm going to use some of these. Thanks for visiting my TT.

Anonymous said...

Great ideas, I'll be using some of them!

Unknown said...

Great ideas! Happy T13!

kay said...

A beautiful list; thank you. A great writing assignment for any age.

Gattina said...

I get confused, lol ! Now I forgot what I wanted to write !

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! Thanks. I sure could use some exercises during my free time. Sending a postcard to myself sounds gooood, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi... I really love this list. Like many who commented before me, I will be using these in future. I belong to a writers group online and will share it there too, if you don't mind.

Have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

Great post, very interesting. Happy T13

Irishcoda said...

I love to write but sometimes I definitely do get stuck! I'm going to use some of these ideas to help get me started or keep me going! :)

anthonynorth said...

Some great tips there.

Hootin Anni said...

Now #6 sounds like it'd be a lot of fun! I may have to try that one day.

My 13 movie stills is shared for T-13 this week. Come by if you can.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

did that come right out of your lovely little thinking brain!!?? Wow what a list!! My TT is up. i finally made it to the T's. Easier this week..next week I am not for sure.
Please write your dates to me again when you will be here.. Thanks.
Sandy

Jill said...

What a unique TT - great ideas! I especially like the wall calendar one.

Happy TT!

MaR said...

What a wonderful list!! I loved your nr 10 since I love postcards :)

Linda said...

Great suggestions! I'll try to remember these.

Melli said...

THIS is a great list Darlin' Daisy! I have seen many of them -- I used to get a writer's monthly magazine - and they were always good for tips that I rarely used, but enjoyed reading! LOL! I DO like that postcard idea though! And I have for sure never written a note to my younger self... THAT would be fun, and I think I will try it. Sometimes I wish I could go back and BE my own mother! LOL!

suezque said...

What a great list! I am guilty of not writing enough, I am going to have to get with it again! :-)
Thanks for dropping by!

Kaige said...

What a great list, Daisy!

"Set the kitchen timer for 15 minutes. Quit writing when it dings." The online writing forum I'm on has a chat room and we do this all the time. Usually in 20 minute sprints, but it's great knowing you'll get a break soon, and that others are out there working at the same time!

Happy TT!
http://impulsivehearts.wordpress.com/

Rebecca said...

Wow, those are very good ideas. I especially like the calendar one. Wait, my favorite is the sending postcards to yourself when on vacation. Many of these are new to me, I'll definitely try them out. Thank you for this list!! :-)

Lisa said...

I love these ideas...they are seem so exciting.

Happy TT

Carole Burant said...

When I was younger I use to write in diaries and journals but haven't since then...now after reading your list, it's making me want to start one again:-) xox

Susan said...

I might share these at school...I like the list.

Hugs,

Susan

alisonwonderland said...

what great ideas! i'm going to have to try some of these! happy TT!

Talk..to..Grams said...

What a great list and ideas!! Thanks for your visits! You always make me feel better! Love and hugs Grams

 
design by suckmylolly.com