Thursday, June 15, 2006

Thursday Thirteen...13 ways to "live happily ever after"



Thirteen Things about Lazy Daisy

It's June and it always makes me think of weddings so here are
13 ways to "live happily ever after"


  1. Never both be angry at the same time. ( Draw straws if you must!)
  2. Never yell at each other unless the house is on fire!
  3. Yield to the wishes of the other as an exercise in self-discipline if you can't think of a better reason.
  4. If you have a choice between making yourself or your mate look good, choose your mate.
  5. If you must criticize, do it privately and lovingly.
  6. Never bring up a mistake of the past. Your silence will be greatly appreciated.
  7. Neglect the whole world rather each other.
  8. Never let the day end without saying at least one complimentary thing to your life partner.
  9. Never meet or leave without an affectionate hug or kiss.
  10. When you've said or done something hurtful, acknowledge it and ask for forgiveness.
  11. Remember it takes two to get an argument going. Invariably the one who is wrong is the one who will be doing most of the talking.
  12. Look for opportunities to express your love.
  13. Pray regularly with each other and for each other.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!




56 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - I haven't been first here in quite a while, your readers usually dive on your posts, and I guess I'm slower than most.

Thanks for the inspiration!

WendyWings said...

Good sound advice, after nearly 21 years of marriage I have to admit I don't always follow all of it but we must be doing something right lol.

Sherri said...

Lots of truth there! Thanks for making me think of my sweety:) He's at work this evening and has been such strength...my soft place to land these days...and thanks for your words of encouragement on my blog and prayers!

MaR said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MaR said...

(second try, deleted the prior comment as a bunch of words were missing somehow...) Thanks for the reminder, Lazy Daisy. About your nr 6: I read something like it years ago and it makes so much sense, if you are having an argument about something, refer only to it, don't bring up things from the past. Which was actually a tip about life with teenagers, lol, but it is wise. Yes, It takes two to get an argument! happy TT!

Laura said...

all of these are things I must really work on. thanks for the reminder.
My tt is up

YellowRose said...

This advice should be given to every engaged couple!!! Great thirteen my dear! I loved it...and it was a great reminder for this ol' gal! ;)

Love ya! My 13 is up...I made summer headers!!

Chaotic Mom said...

We've been married almost 15 years. It took us quite a while to learn some of these. ;)

Anonymous said...

IA with most.
#6 is a biggie, let tghe past stay in the past. sometmes its better that way.

Anonymous said...

Those are very good advices. And another one that my husband and I did was, never go to bed angry with eachother and awe always told eachother that we loved one another.

Darla said...

Great advice! I'd add to remind yourself regularly why you married this person, and to take the time to be together, even if it seems like you're too busy--that's kept us together (and happy!) for 22 years.

Tanya said...

Some words of wisdom there. Thankyou.

My list is up.

Happy Thursday.

K T Cat said...

Dang! Great list! People aren't for changing, they're for getting along with.

LaFLor said...

i should save this to a CD.
=)

Aginoth said...

Never go to bed with an arguement unresolved !

Anonymous said...

I like 'em all...but #4 really is so true. Great list.

My Thurs 13 is posted

fivetimemom said...

great list. I am going to copy it and put it on my fridge...

Anonymous said...

Great advice! I'll have to remember this if I ever meet anyone worthy of the effort. ;)

Just Nancy said...

This is a great list. Now if only I could live up to it! My DH is good at this but I'm not so much.

Although I always pray for him.

Thanks for visiting my list.

alyceclover said...

Great List! There's an old expression, "you catch more flies with honey", yet so many people seem to forget to be sweet to their loved one. Beautiful blog, love the floating daisies.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Great advice, Daisy...If we could just all learn those words and use them when we are younger and not have to wait until we are older to "finally" understand them. We have learned them and stayed together all of these years!! Thank goodness and GOD had a lot to do with it too....

Anonymous said...

Great list. Every engaged couple should have to sign of on this!

Anonymous said...

Wish I had read that 14 years ago. LOL Great list.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

-R- said...

Good advice. #4 is my favorite- I need to remember that!

Anonymous said...

I like #12 the best because I feel that love is a choice.
Your husband must be very blessed.

Beck said...

Great list! I'm always shocked at couples who frequently yell at each other - it's just such an obviously bad idea!

Norma said...

#4 is so important. If you brag on your mate--it makes you look really good for snagging him! Plus you can effortlessly appear to positive and unbeat, all pluses.

A great list for this wedding season. Thanks for visiting my TT.

Heather said...

What a wonderful list! I can't help but think of how many more happy marriages there would be if we'd all follow this advice.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Awesome list!! I need those advices so I could make my relationship with my sweetie better and last long....I gotta copy and paste this, hope you dont mind. love this list! especially the part never meet or leave without a hug or kiss and always ask for forgiveness.

Love this list of yours, happy T13. mine is up too.

Leanne said...

I know I can always use this kind of reminder, thank you!

Congratulations, too - you're a featured blog at the hub this week. :)

Pixie said...

Definately a list all couples should live by!

Christina said...

Very wonderful tips for lifetime happines. I especially like #13. My husband and I try to spend a little prayer time together every day (harder lately because he's away for his job a lot) and it brings an incredible amount of stability into our lives. Thanks for postiing this!

Christina

Anonymous said...

Great list. Makes you stop and think.

craziequeen said...

'Happy Ever After' is looking ok :-)

cq

My TT is up.....

craziequeen said...

Odd, that was supposed to read

'After 20+ years our 'Happy Ever After' is looking ok :-)

Blogger stole my words! Cool....

cq

Natsthename said...

And never bring up old boyfriends/girlfriends!

Great list!!

Anonymous said...

Great list. I admit I need to remember some of these when dealing with my husband.

Unknown said...

Great, great words here! We try to abide by most of them when possible. We always meet/leave with a hug/kiss and say "I love you." I had to train him to do this. It has always been important to me. Compliments always. Put him first. Make him look good. I do my best. Marriage takes work, but the payoff is so worth it. Not only for us, but my son deserves for a happy mom and dad.

Anonymous said...

VERY ENJOYABLE LIST! I am going to remember these!!!

Your Mother said...

Wonderful post. Wise words to live by! My TT here!

Anonymous said...

What a great list and wonderful adivce!

Tracie Nall said...

What a great list.
Especially #13 which is the most important...but I think that #2 is something I still need some work on.

YellowRose said...

Just stopping back by to say Congrats on being the featured TT of the week!!! WTG g/f!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

You think I can get my dear cat Sweetie to join me in all these things? (lol) He really kind of does already I must say...

Thanks for the Blog Olympics reminder..I did play and registered my comment...Maybe I'm just a Silver Kind Of Gal...we'll see...!

Anonymous said...

Putting your mate first sounds subservient at first but in reality it's liberating! It's one of the points in the 8 point meditation I practice. It's better to give than receive is a magic formula!

Susan said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this list and KNOW that it works. I am going on 19 years and have had to learn so many of these on my own...actually I had to learn the hard way with some of them. ;-)

My TT is up here.

Meira{FB} said...

Never go to bed angry with each other was my grandmothers advice

Anonymous said...

With my second marriage I am trying to do some of those things. Another thing, as said before never go to bed angry, esp with your loved ones. My list is up.

Unknown said...

I have to remember #11, if I tell my husband that one, he might just stop talking. Wonderful list. Happy Thursday!

Kendra said...

I love it! How sweet. I'm going to use this list sometime.

PowersTwinB said...

My hubby nad I, after 35 yrs of wedded bliss, have never had our family, friends or our 3 sons see a cross word between us. In fact, in all those 35 years, I have never had one arguement or fight with my beloved hubby! I think it speaks weel of how marriage is a compromise...of 40/60 and you MUST take turns taking the 40 and giving the 60!! Thanks for visiting my twin TT today

Anonymous said...

your list is so helpful and inspiring, i'm gonna keep it, print it and make it accessible to read always. some items bring tears 2 my eyes bcoz ive failed 2 do them. #6 struck me most.

also, i'd like to tell you that you have 1 of the prettiest blogs ive ever visited. :)

Anonymous said...

This is a great list. Dh and I do not fight much.....

Congrats on being site of the week!

Frances D said...

Site of the week - you're too cool for school.
Sorry I'm late I spent the day with my daughter so I couldn't surf as much as I like.
Love your list.
Take care,
Frances

Katherine said...

Awesome list!! #s 4 & 8 are my favorite but I'll try to live by the whole list.

Anonymous said...

Perfect list! I wish I was more awake in the morning when J leaves for work. :)

 
design by suckmylolly.com