Monday, May 15, 2006

Signs, Signs


Signs, Signs
Originally uploaded by Momma B.

Some of the signs on New York City streets.

The Chrysler building is in the background. I love the Chrysler building! It was built by Walter P. Chrysler and is an homage to the car. The spire was inspired by a radiator grill. The 30th floor sports wheels, complete fenders and hubcaps and its corners are decorated with huge stainless steel radiator caps.

The Chrysler building is the essence of Art Deco style, which is characterized by bold geometric shapes.

Built in the 1920's, it is definitely a luxury building. Stainless steel was exorbitantly expensive in the 20's and was used with abandon to represent the chrome trim on cars.

2 comments:

YellowRose said...

Very neat, I didn't know that about the history of the building! Very cool! I always loved the look of that building!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the history lesson Daisy. I didn't know any of that.

 
design by suckmylolly.com