Monday, August 28, 2006

A time to stretch......

Lately Mr. Wonderful and I have been talking about vacations. Every summer for years we would pile the kids in the car and drive for two days to go visit the grandparents.

It was an obligation but never a vacation. We were so intent that the children behave and not spoil anything in my parents "no-no touch house" that we were always on edge and exhausted . I remember hearing my dad exclaim that he had to paint the hallway every time we came for a visit.

It seems that my children had a hard time walking down the hall without touching both sides of the wall. It didn't seem to matter to them if their hands were clean or not.

Mr. Wonderful suggested recently that we go camping. Easy for him to say......I still have everything to do that I do at home except without the convenience of my household appliances. Sleeping in a tent without air conditioning? Cooking over a campfire? Just kill me now and get it over with.

We all need to jolt ourselves back into life's fullness now and again. We need time off, not just because we're physically tired. Often times it's because we're feeling dull and closed off, mentally and spiritually. It's time for a "soul stretch".

We've all had the sensation of sitting too long in one position and the relief that shifting or standing can bring. So it is with a soul stretch.....a getaway whether solo, with your spouse or a friend, keep these rules: You must do something unlike your daily routine, and you can't let your mind turn to household or job trivia or phone more once to "Check in".

Don't think you have to think big thoughts. Just notice, and appreciate, all that is around you: colors, sounds, the body language of passersby. It's a type of mediation, one that's as refreshing as the sound of waves on a beach or children laughing. For me it's sitting on the porch swing in the evening watching the fireflies , digging in the dirt in the garden, listening to music or catching a glimpse of the divine in the ordinary .

A soul stretch is often more refreshing than a plunge into a swimming pool and more exhilarating than the fastest roller coaster. I highly recommend it.

9 comments:

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

For me, a break is just what I really need. The break I'm dreaming of is far from all the stress. A place to go to where you eat without cooking the food, waking up to someone who does your bed for you and free from all housechores even for just a while.
I really am very sorry if I haven't visited your site for a while but on the 19th we had to rush my dying SIL to the hospital and on the 20th my DIL gave birth to my 2nd grandson and by the 21st I was already torn between the dying and the living. Sad to say, my SIL didn't make it and passed away on the 23rd. It was only after her cremation on the 26th that I had recovered from the emotional stress we had all been through. It was a mixed emotional feelings from being sad because of the passing away of my SIL and from being happy because of the birth of my 2nd grandson. I hope you do understand me. I had posted it on my site but unfortunately you didn't pass by.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Only you could come up the idea of "soul stretching" where do these ideas come from? You have the best mind!! God really is at work you know, dear. He gives you clear ideas and then rolls it all around in there and then it comes out so great on here!! WOW!! I love how you write and always have.
Thanks for such a great post today!!
Have a great day!!

Anonymous said...

I love your concept of soul stretching! For me, it is sitting outdoors in the early pre-dawn hours, listening to the birds sing & watching the sunrise before coming back indoors to start my normal day. *s*

Anonymous said...

Ya....camping. Roughing it according to my hubby! Well, I put the hipper-dipper to his so called having VACATION in a tent one year....as I so easily rolled off the log into pine needles by the campfire!!---I told him, he can do this kinda thing any ol' time. But for me? Roughing it is going somewhere withOUT a reservation for a room! So...from then on it was TRUE vacations for our family.

That's sad to have grandparents that don't let grandkids fingerprints STAY on the wall.......I would adore fingerprints right now. All our kids/grandkids are grown.

Happy Tuesday.

Carmen said...

soul stretching - I like that!

MaR said...

What a clever concept! together with "catching a glimpse of the divine in the ordinary". Wise tips, Lazy Daisy ( and I love to have joined the ranks of "embarrasing mom", lol).

Melli said...

Daisy... this is AWESOME! And yes - it's true! We all need some soul stretching from time to time... actually - on a regular basis! I find little ways to stretch my soul ... I never called it that before though -- I just always called it my little treats! Sometimes I have lunch with a friend, or take an afternoon for pampering myself - either at home OR (when money allows) with a pedicure... just a little time to myself to relax and think... Do a little soul searching perhaps! And occassionally a drive over to the boardwalk at Chesapeake Beach -- the Bay is very good for the soul! YOU are a very wise woman Miss Daisy!

Susan said...

I LOVE this!! I just started reading the book titled, "How to Live Like Mary in a Martha World" because I forget to "soul stretch" often enough.

Bless you for reminding me today!! And, I cannot wait to have fingerprints on my walls from little grandchildren running around my house!!!

:-)

Unknown said...

Hey - speaking of a vacation, have ya'll figured out where you want to go with those vouchers? Did you send them in yet?

 
design by suckmylolly.com