
When our girls very young about (2 and 4) one of their favorite toys was a rocking horse. It was mounted on a metal base and had springs. We named it Honey Horse and it entertained them for hours at a time.
They liked Honey Horse cause not only could it rock back and forth..... it could go up and down. We lived in an apartment building and there were no parks nearby so Honey Horse also served as a swing.
I think the girls took after their "Queen of the Cowgirls" mom who got her first cowgirl hat and cap pistol at four, but it wasn't long till our cowgirls were experimenting with "new trick riding" stunts. At first, the stunts were the "look at me, no hands " variety that most children invent some time or another in their lives.
The stunts quickly increased in level of danger and creativity factors. We had the "ride the horse on your knees" variation, the sit on the horse head and ride backward trick, the lie on your back and grab the horse from beneath and bang up and down experiment as well at the running mount and dismount attempts. These tricks were all preceded with, "Look at me Daddy".
A few days before Boy Wonder made his debut into the world, Baby Girl was riding Honey Horse fast and furious. She would rock back and forth and get more and more momentum as she rode. She soon was riding so frantically that the horse would begin to tip slightly and bounce on its base. The next thing we knew she was catapulted over the horse and was flying through the air. (Let's just say her dismount was a painful jolt of reality.)
We ended up having to take her to the Emergency Room to have her arm x-rayed. Sure enough, she had a "green stick" break of her left wrist and ended up having to wear a cast for a week. Talk about feeling guilty! I think I learned truly what parents mean when they tell their children "This is going to hurt me worse than you." Baby Girl enjoyed the attention......I began to doubt my mothering ability but it was a little too late for that!
Boy Wonder would turn out to be "an accident waiting to happen" full of energy and rushing headfirst into many reckless adventures. I would end up kissing many skinned knees and comforting many broken spirits. Who knew mothering would be such hard work?
Monday, August 21, 2006
Monday Memories..."Honey Horse"
Posted by Lazy Daisy at 7:51 AM
Labels: first broken arm, Honey Horse, Monday memories, Suzy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
That is a great memory to share. I bought one of those horses for my daughter Malia when she was 6 months old and she loved it. By the time she was nine months, she could get on it by herself. She would not get off and used to fall asleep on it before I could take her down. lol.
Thanks for stopping by my MM.
What a wonderful memory - and rocking horse! I wish I have had one when I grow up, it sounds so fun!
I bet that is one of their greatest memory - despite the injury :-)
On the other hand, your kids must have a whole bunch of happy memories. What a wonderful childhood.
Thanks for stopping by :-)
Our son had one of those too. He used to dress up in full cowboy suit, hat, gun and all and ride and ride. Kids just love those horses. I wonder if they still do.
Great memories!! My Monday Memory is finally up too.
Hope your Monday is going well.
Oh, I wanted one so bad when I was little--and by the time I had kids--well, it didn't look like such a great idea. They had those rubber hippity hop horses.
Thanks for visiting my MM.
Oh, what a wonderful post! as always... I am so glad my "baby" is still at home...happy monday! and thanks for your kind words on my blog! my eyes are better!
I was more accident prone than Nyssa was. She did have several sports injuries, hit in the mouth with softball (thank goodness the braces were still on!!) and things like that.
So, you are not opposed to arranged marriage? (wink, wink) Well, Nyssa is smart, sweet, kind, ambitious, 20, a junior at William & Mary, doing a double major in Geology and English. She wants to do graduate work in meteorology. She loves music and movies and reading; doesn't sing but plays the piano and loves animals. This summer she worked on the Mississippi coast with a church group rebuilding and learned to drive forklifts, paint, drywall, plaster and so forth. Then she had her long curls cut off (twelve inches) and sent to Locks of Love. And she will kill me if she finds this comment.
We had one of those honey horses, too! We loved it! We could make it "walk" all over the playroom - that was not popular with Mom, but...
Have a great day!!
LBC
Mothers are wonderful! :)
My son pulled a casserole dish off the couner, cut his hand, and needed stitches before the age of one. I went to the emergency room in a bathrobe and had mayonaisse on my face! I've never put the stuff on my face since then. I think I read it was some kind of beauty treatment.
Ooooh that picture of the rocking horse gives me flashback memories of our rocking horse too. This is one is beautiful. Is is still okay till this years?
Thanks for passing by. I would have normally been opening Monday Memory sites earlier but since Saturday, I had really been busy between house chores, taking care of my 2 year old grandson, going to the hospital where my sister-in-law was confined (she's dying and might not last till a month), Sunday, my daughter-in-law was admitted too. She has given birth to a boy again, my 2nd grandson. She underwent a caesarian birth. So as for now it's between the hospital and home till everything normalizes but I see to it I can post and visit at night those who have visited and left comments.
Post a Comment