Big Chair Originally uploaded by peachicken.
Did I ever tell you about (Baby Girl's) first writing experience?
We lived in Dickinson, North Dakota (not the end of the world but you can see it from there!) We had painted the exterior of our house to a vibrant blue. The children called the house "Blueberry". We had painted the house ourselves and it took us quite a long time. Shortly after painting the house we came home and found that someone had written" SUZ "in mud on the side of the house. Needless to say Mr. Wonderful was not happy to see mud on his freshly painted house so he called all three of our children together for true confession time.
Our children were quite young at the time. Grrrlmeetsworld was 6 and in the first grade. Baby Girl was in kindergarten and Boy Wonder was 3. Did I mention Baby Girl's name is SUZY? So it really wasn't hard to figure out who the guilty party was. But rather than confront her directly Mr. Wonderful called a "family meeting" in the living room. After explaining what he had found and this was not acceptable, he asked each of the children starting with the oldest if they had written on the house.
Grrrlmeetsworld looked at her daddy with her huge brown soulful eyes and said, "It wasn't me Daddy." Baby Girl with sparkling spitfire eyes answered just as calmly, "It wasn't me Daddy". Boy Wonder scribbling on paper and eating the crayons shook his head vigorously, " Not me " he said, without a care in the world.
Mr. Wonderful calmly scooped up Suzy and sat her on his knee. He told her, "If you didn't write your name on the house, who do you think did it?" Without batting an eye she responded, "It was brother!" "Really?" says Mr. Wonderful picking up Boy Wonder and taking the crayons out of his mouth.
"Mother, did you realize our son is a genius? Just barely three and he can write and spell!" I think this calls for a celebration. Son, would you like some ice cream?"
With those words, Boy Wonder is excited and happy and being celebrated as the world's smartest child. Grrrlmeetsworld is credited for teaching her baby brother and therefore the world's best big sister and also deserving of ice cream.
Baby Girl is left out of the celebration altogether. ( Never one to let the attention get away from her) Suzy remembers that she was the brilliant one who wrote most of her name on the side of the house.
The celebration continued in the house for the two "honest" children while Dad took Suzy outside with some hot sudsy water, a scrub brush, and some huge yellow rubber gloves. After some instruction and lots of elbow grease, her first public writing piece is now a part of our family history. I'm sure dear ole dad supervised the project and probably gave her some sage advice on always telling the truth.
There was ice cream waiting on both of them when the project was complete.
Do you remember your first public recognition of something you had written?
15 comments:
You would make a great MOPS mentor mom..If you lived here I would put you to work...girlfriend...You remember stories really well. I wish that I could remember them as well as you do. This is is great..Poor Suzy...
enjoyed! quite amusing
Great post Daisy. I don't think I ever got public recognition for my writing.
I forgot about Monday Memories.
how sweet! though when my naughty girls draw on th walls or sofa they LOVE washing it off! so it doesn't quite work as far as punishments go....
lovely memory.
i'm here via michele. (should have been last night, but a power cut just afetr i'd commited at michele's made it impossible!)
Does Suzy still remember the naughty things? What does she say now when it's being replayed again.
No public recognition for writing but that's OK. Situation handled very well! MY MM is up.
Great story - and a title that draws the reader in, too.
Thanks for sharing. I hope to get back to Monday Memory writing when we get moved (if we EVER do)and settled somewhere else.
Meanwhile I sure do enjoy reading everybody else's posts.
A great story and a terrific family memory. Reminds me that when I was little my sibs and I "painted" a neighbor's garage with mud--we'd seen him painting and thought we'd help.
Thanks for visiting my MM.
Love that story!!
Reminds me of the time Auntie wrote on her bedroom wall and told Grambug that Casper the ghost did it. We still chuckle about that one!! She and Casper had to wash it off....
My mm is up.
LBC
What great parents you both are! Teaching a leasson that I am sure stuck with your kids for the rest of their lives! Great memory, Daisy!
I didn't do a memory this week, still not feeling up to par. But I did a meme instead. ;)
your memories are such pleasant reading! this reminded me of my brother carving his initials on our parents' brand new closet door... you can still see it now, over 30 years after!
Yeah - laugh it up at poor Suzy's expense. Hey Ma, you forgot to include how it tramatized me for life and how I've changed my name to "Lolita" now. Heh.
LOL . . . what a great story.
We were at Girl Scout camp and there was this pine tree that everyone had carved their initials into...so I did too. Unfortunately I have very unique initials and my mother spotted it right away. She made me peel that piece of bark off of the tree.
Which did more damage to the tree? My little initials or taking a whole chunk of bark off the tree?
Hummm...
Darly asked me today if I could have any wish I wanted as a kid, what would it have been. I explained to her that as an adult my wish has changed. As a kid, if I had the time to think about it, I would have wished for fewer brothers or a sister. As an Adult my wish for myself as a kid would be to have better parents.
What a wise and wonderful man Mr. Wonderful is. This is what you call creative parenting. Most parents would have punished or yelled or other things to get at the true. I don't remember what punishment I got, but I was taught to leave my mom a note if I was going somewhere, and she was over at the neighbors or something. So I scratched a note in an antique buffet thing we had. Needless to say, I found paper the next time:)
Post a Comment