Saturday, May 06, 2006

Have you ever seen an Alpaca?



It's a beautiful spring day today and Mr. Wonderful and I went to the "Folk Arts Festival" at Blue Ridge Community College this morning. It's a fun festival ( especially if you like Cloggers....there were a bunch of them preforming!)

There were lots of crafts, concessions, pony rides, blacksmiths, and even alpacas. I had never seen an alpaca before.

Apparently they are related to camels and llamas. The two that I saw had very large fuzzy heads and a long neck. They had sweet faces but looked rather comical and out of porportion with the long neck. They had been shaved for their wool. There was a display of how to spin the "Wool" into yarn which is very soft.

It always amazes me how creative people can be. I saw some very cute birdhouses made out of old Cowboy Boots and traditional bird houses with the roof portion made from pot lids. We bought a few "mother's day" gifts for me so Mr. Wonderful can surprise me with them on Mother's Day. (That's his favorite way to shop!) It wouldn't have been hard for him to choose the Daisy ear rings but this way he knows I'll like them!

I also had my first "Funel Cake!". ( Ok, I can cross that off my list now.) It was really good and interesting to watch them make them. The batter is literally poured out through a funnel into a cast iron skillet and deep fried. When the batter rises they flip it over and cook the other side and slide it on to a plate and sprinkle powder sugar on it. You have to eat it right away! Mr. Wonderful says the only downside of funnel cakes is that you end up "wearing it" the rest of the day.....the powdered sugar goes all over your clothes! Each funnel cake comes out different with very elaborate designs and lots of holes.

It was a fun outing and the perfect way to spend a spring morning.

17 comments:

srp said...

I always just hope for a card.
Maybe a gift card to Starbucks.
This sounds like a great way to spend a lazy day.
My mom and I went to a Mother/Daughter lunch at the church. It was a great soup and salad menu and a wonderful speaker and the little daughters singing and playing the piano. My girl is still in exams at William and Mary, but she will be here by Mother's Day.

shpprgrl said...

It sounds like a fun-filled day! Funnel cakes are so yummy! We've even made them at home.....cinnamon & sugar is great too.

Here from Michele's!

Jennifer said...

We have some alpacas here....aren't they odd looking?
Don't let Mr. Wonderful forget to give you your teapot earrings that you picked up at the Tea Room! ;)
I'm sitting at MY Mother's Day gift. I think that my trip and my laptop are more than adequate gifts for several years to come!! :D
Aren't funnel cakes yummy? I agree, though...messy! :)

craziequeen said...

What a cracking day :-D

Sounds like you had a wonderful time....did you buy an alpaca sweater? jacket? underwear?

Sadly, wool is one of my many allergies - even lambswool and alpaca!

cq
Here from Michele - this time....

ps - thank you for all the WONDERFUL words on my blog - very much appreciated at the moment, being rather fragile...

Anonymous said...

We have Alpaca's in Central Oregon and they are great to see at the State Fair every year. There are usually wool spinning demos and everything!!

Michele told me to come over.



~K!

Crayonsetc said...

Sounds like a fun time!! I love cloggers... that is how I use to stay so thin... maybe I should take it up again ;)

Stopping by via Michele!!

Anonymous said...

that sounds so so so nice. i love days like that. i've never had funnel cake and now i want to. ;)

here via michele.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had some new experiences today. Glad you and the hubby had a great day out together. I hope you like your Mother's Day gifts!

YellowRose said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! I love funnel cakes! They are even better topped off with fresh strawberries or drizzled with chocolate! Yummy!!

*hugs*

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Funnel Cake..I guess you wear it on your hips, too! (lol) It does sound very delicioys though...I windr how it would taste with some Hot Fudge Sauce on it...MMMMMMYUMMMYUMMMM...! I've never had any Funnel Cakes, in fact never heard of them till this week! Do you need to eat it right away because it gets strange if it is cold?
Sounds like a lovely lobely morning! Thanks for the visit, btw and the kind words, too!

Hale McKay said...

Hello. Just taking a spin around the blogosphere and found you. Nice site - attractive and i like the "falling daisy" effect.

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

It's nice to hear when somebody's enjoyed. It's a pity you don't have a picture of that alpaca. I have not seen any of it yet nor even a picture.

Muhd Imran said...

I always hear wonderful days about spring. Living in the equator, I have yet to experience Spring or Fall.

Nice to hear that you enjoyed the day thoroughly, with mouth-watering deserts too.

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

you have never had a funnel cake? Where have you been? Man...I am from the Mid West where every time you go to a State Fair there are funnel cakes starring at you...EAT ME...EAT ME....I AM FATTENING!! I love them but try to stay away!! You needed to try one though..they are delicious!! Right? Glad you had such a great morning!! Nice to hear that you had wonderful weather...Ours is great also..love hearing about you...

mompoet said...

Hey Daisy,
How do you pronounce "llama?" I say "la-ma." My mom, who is one of those spinners and weavers of the fleece of ruminants and other creatures, says "ya-ma." Have you heard of that? I have not yet tried funnel cakes. Mom would probably call them "junnel cakes," or some such.
mp

Unknown said...

Hey Daisy. Glad you got to go, we've been several times. If you liked that, you should go to the Rockingham County Fair. It's great.

Won't be in until Tuesday. No reason to celebrate anything!

Christy said...

I just found you from "Michelle".
Wow, your first funnel cake, those are one of my favorite things. Makes me think of wonderful end of the summer fairs!

I'll be stopping by again!

 
design by suckmylolly.com